Welcome to the tenth episode of The One Percent Show with Vishal Khandelwal. This show is an open-ended exploration into the minds of the wisest people around to help us learn to think, invest, and live each day a little, even if as little as one percent, better.
In this episode, I talk to the extra-special Barry Ritholtz, Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of Ritholtz Wealth Management. He is also the creator and host of Masters in Business, the most popular podcast on Bloomberg Radio. Barry has been called the “blogfather” for his long-standing finance blog, The Big Picture. He is also the author of the book Bailout Nation, which is an engaging look at what led to the financial crisis of 2008.
Barry has been named one of the “15 Most Important Economic Journalists” in the United States and has been called one of the 25 Most Dangerous People in Financial Media. He has spent his career helping people spot their own investment errors and to learn how to better manage their own financial behaviors. Barry’s observations on the economy and markets are unique in that they are the result of both quantitative data and behavioral economics, and a function of his unusual career path in finance.
Barry’s blog is perhaps the most well-known oasis of economic straight talk on the web. I have been reading him for almost 15 years now, and he was one of the persons who was really part of the inspiration for my work at Safal Niveshak in the first place. His is one of the very few financial blogs I read consistently.
In this episode, Barry talks about –
- Using life’s deficits as superpowers
- His unusual career path in finance
- Lessons for young people wanting to enter finance
- Being called one of the most dangerous people in financial media
- Survivorship bias
- Importance of being kind to others
- Most important mantra for investors
- Thinking independently in a noisy world
- Creating meaning in life
- Favourite books
- And more.
- Americana: A 400-Year History of American Capitalism by Bhu Srinivasan
- How to Invent Everything: A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler by Ryan North
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Barry's Book - Bailout Nation: How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy
* * *